Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Petty?

Recently there's been an explosion of Facebook usage by people who went to my high school. I hesitate to say my friends from high school, as quite a few of the people I've recently received friend requests from are people I don't even remember from high school. Some of them graduated two or three years after me, which explains things, but others claim to have been in my class and yet... nothin'. No memory whatsoever. I don't get it. I didn't go to that big of a school.

At any rate, one night a couple of weeks ago, I logged in and a newly added friend had a status update complaining about the class of '93's lack of a 15-year reunion this year. It also asked if anyone had seen G. As in my ex-fiance. Well, I couldn't help myself. I commented simply that, while I hadn't talked to him myself in quite some time, I knew of his whereabouts and vital statistics through his sister.

But I couldn't leave it at that. I decided to do a search for G. and see if, by any chance, he was also a Facebook user. Turns out he is. I sent him a friend request with a brief message about how the previously mentioned friend (who had been quite close to G. in high school) had been inquiring about him.

A few days later, G. replied to my message. He thanked me for putting him in touch with our friend and that that he'd also found our former band director (also on my friend list). But he didn't respond to my friend request. Yet he added both the friend who was looking for him and our former band director. When I looked again a couple days ago, I saw that he had also added another friend from high school (who I'm sure requested G., not the other way around), yet he has still not responded to my request. And we've sent a couple of brief messages to one another since then as well, so it's not that he's totally ignoring me.

I'm sure that G. has nothing against being "friends" with me on Facebook. He knows there are no bad feelings between us. But I'm sure that W. would never allow it. I don't get it, though. If anyone should be bitter in this situation, it would be me, not her. She won for God's sake! She's the one who married him and gave birth to his children. Not me. I just don't understand. I even requested her as a friend as well, just so that she knew I was not trying to do anything underhanded by contacting her husband without her knowledge. She outright denied my request. The one I sent to G. is simply still pending.

I don't understand how, nearly twelve years later (and they've been married for seven) she can still be so threatened by the connection I once had with G.

I've been known to be pretty bitter about some things that have happened in my life. But not one of them is a situation in which I was the winner. And nothing that happened over a decade ago even still makes the radar. I hope to God that I never develop that level of bitterness.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Facebook is such a weird place. The other day, I logged on for two seconds, and before I could log off, I noticed a chat window had popped up at the bottom of the screen. It was my high school kinda-sorta boyfriend just saying hi! I feel as though there should be some kind of warning before my former crush just starts chatting me up! As we exchanged niceties, I felt all a flush, just like I was back in high school. It was so weird!

Also, as an aside, I don't like that you have to be-friend most people to be able to see their info. On the one hand, I guess that's good for us, so people can't ogle our pictures and stuff. But on the other hand, I don't necessarily want to be friends with everyone I used to know. Maybe I just want to poke around for a second to see what my acquaintances are up to before requesting their friendship.

I'll say it again, Facebook is weird. Not sure I'm a fan.

10/07/2008 10:31 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Oh that reminds me of the guy who "friended" me on both MySpace and Facebook. The one I was sure I was IN LOVE with senior year. This boy was HOT! And he knew I liked him, but never bowed to my advances. After finding me on MySpace, he sent me a message about how much he enjoyed being around me in high school because I was so friendly and had such a positive outlook. Fat lot of good it does me now that he's married with 3 kids!

10/13/2008 10:39 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Ugh. Just, ugh.

I must say that I love FB though.

10/22/2008 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home