Sunday, July 27, 2008

Details

I finally got started on packing up my kitchen today. This is harder than it sounds. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal... I mean, it's not like I haven't had to do this several times when I've moved from place to place. But this time is a little different because I'm not simply moving from one kitchen to another where I can unpack everything in a matter of a day or two.

Because my parents are going to be here for the next two to three days, I need to be able to feed them as well as myself. While the cabinets need to be cleaned out to start with tear out tomorrow, I will still have access to a stove until Tuesday or Wednesday and will need it for what I have planned for tomorrow night's dinner. So I need to keep out appropriate cooking supplies. Once the range has been moved to the garage, I will be without one for about a week and a half, leaving me to cook using only the microwave, slow-cooker, and George Foreman grill. Though I won't have appliances in my kitchen for quite some time, I will be able to move a few things into the new cabinets once they are installed (likely on Monday of next week).

But I digress. I have a habit of doing that.

I pulled the boxes to pack the dishes in down from the attic, but when I opened them up I got a bit of a surprise that had me very confused for a few minutes. The newspaper that packed the main box was The Michigan Daily from February of 1997. Well, considering that this is the newspaper of the University of Michigan (while I am a Spartan), I was pretty befuddled. I mean, my ex-fiance was a Wolverine, but why would I have newspaper from his college? The date was also a little odd... February of 1997 was when our engagement ended. Suddenly it dawned on me. When we were in college, I had lent G. an extra set of dishes that my mom had down in the basement. When we broke up, I demanded that everything he had of mine be returned... hence the newspaper from that college and that date in my dish box.

I had a bit of a laugh once I remembered the back story. It would be even better if I still had those dishes.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home