Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"So Much Joy in Life, So Many Pleasures All Around..."

I only slept about five hours last night, after working fairly hard helping my dad tear out cabinets. Today we finished the job and moved all my appliances out to the garage where they will be out of the way of the cabinet and flooring installation.

I took a shower about 10:00 and then laid down to read a bit. I was pretty tired and figured I would be ready to sleep shortly.

I was wrong.

It's now almost 1:00 a.m. and I can't sleep to save my life.

My "bedroom" is currently relocated to my computer room as I offered my bed to my parents. As they are in their upper 60s (Mom) and early 70s (Dad), it is much easier for me to get up from and down onto an air mattress on the floor than it is for them. The air mattress is actually quite comfortable, and still queen sized so there is plenty of room for me and my furry children, so that's not the issue. And I'm obviously tired enough after having worked all day on only five hours of sleep (last night I got to sleep okay, but woke up at 5:00 a.m. to use the bathroom and couldn't go back to sleep).

So what's the issue with my insomnia? Just your garden variety case of not being able to turn my mind off. I keep thinking of all the things I need to do in the next few days. Once Monday gets here, the remainder of the kitchen project is pretty much out of my hands, but until then, we have some wiring to do, a heat/air register to replace and patch around, and more of the old flooring needs to be pulled up. And that's just tomorrow while my parents are still here. After that I have to finish patching, sand the patches, wash the walls and ceiling, and paint. I also have an electrical outlet and a light fixture to change. Oh, and did I mention that I need to move a bunch of the new cabinets around in my garage so that I can get to my painting supplies? Or the fact that, now that my kitchen has been completely gutted (I'll post a picture soon), I have no kitchen sink to wash up in after cleaning and painting? Or that all of my cooking for the next week and a half will have to be microwave meals cooked in my spare bedroom? Which is on the opposite end of my house from my garage, the current location of my refrigerator? Or that I can't even do laundry because the new flooring is going into my utility room as well, so the washer and dryer are also in the garage?

I wonder why I can't sleep.

**Title of post from "Who Needs Sleep?" by the Bare Naked Ladies**

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home