Thursday, November 30, 2006

Celebrating the End of NaBloPoMo... My 100 Things

Well, folks, I did it. I'm not sure how I did it, but I did. Is anyone still awake out there?

I figured that an appropriate way to end the month would be by posting another project I've been working on all month: my 100 things list. Yeah, I know, everyone else did these a couple years ago, but I've always been a little behind. So here goes...

100 Things

1. I was named after someone my mom worked with at a bank.
2. I am the youngest of four girls.
3. I am also the youngest child of two youngest children and the youngest grandchild on both sides of the family.
4. I have cousins with children older than me.
5. My first pet was a hamster named Sassy.
6. My parents now have a Jack Russell terrier named Sassy.
7. On my 21st birthday, I was supposed to play in the pep band for Jud Heathcote’s last game at Michigan State. It was an exhibition game between Spartan players from his 19 years as head coach.
8. My boyfriend got the night off from work, so he convinced me to go out to dinner with him instead.
9. He asked me to marry him that night.
10. I broke up with him 19 months later.
11. I haven’t dated anyone I would consider a “boyfriend” every since.
12. I still wish I’d gone to the basketball game.
13. When I started college I was a voice performance major.
14. After one semester I was no longer a voice performance major.
15. I had a total of 15 roommates while I was in college… but it’s not as bad as it sounds.
16. My cat is often mistaken for a Russian Blue, but he’s as mixed-breed as they come.
17. He was born on my parents’ farm, but got sick and we didn’t think he’d survive the winter, so I took him with me when I moved out.
18. Now he weighs 16 pounds.
19. I have attended a total of four universities and one community college.
20. I have a bachelors degree, added an endorsement to my teaching certificate, and (almost) a masters degree.
21. I look like a female version of my dad.
22. I have one niece and four nephews.
23. I am also a great-aunt. My grandnephew is almost four and my grandniece is two months old.
24. I enjoy seeing the startled look on people’s faces when I tell them I am a great-aunt.
25. I then explain that my niece is only four years younger than me.
26. She came to live with us for six months at a time when I was in sixth and eighth grade and she was in first and third.
27. I hated having a younger “sister.”
28. We recently started talking regularly via instant messenger.
29. Her mom (my sister) is retired from the Air Force, which is why she came to live with us.
30. I still think it’s a little wrong that my niece is married with children before me.
31. I have seen every episode of Friends. Everything in life can be related to an episode of Friends.
32. Freshman year of high school, my best friend stole algebra assignments from my locker and turned them in with her name on them.
33. We are still friends today. I was even in her wedding.
34. That’s how forgiving I can be.
35. That’s the only wedding I have ever been in.
36. Unless you count my sister’s where I was mistress of ceremonies.
37. I bought my own home just before my 30th birthday with just a little down payment help from my parents.
38. People look at me in disbelief when I tell them the home projects I have done myself, particularly the electrical work.
39. I’ve bought materials for several more projects, like a new faucet for the bathroom sink, but haven’t gotten around to doing them yet.
40. My Jeep has a manual transmission, as did my last car. I special order them because I prefer them.
41. I will be really sad the day I have to buy a car with an automatic transmission, but I know it will happen someday.
42. I’ve never broken a bone.
43. I loved my job as a high school teacher.
44. I don’t really love my job as a middle school teacher.
45. When I expressed my opinions and made a joke regarding this on MySpace (on my own time and my home computer), my employer brought tenure charges against me in an attempt to have me dismissed.
46. They were unsuccessful.
47. Working in the middle school did help me figure out what I wanted to get my master’s degree in, though.
48. I will be done with my master’s degree next month.
49. By working half to full time on it, it only took me 19 months to complete.
50. My dog was born the day before I closed on my house.
51. She was my 30th birthday present to myself.
52. She is the poster child for separation anxiety.
53. As a child I wanted to be a writer.
54. As a 12 year old, I used to write stories about people with multiple personality disorder and murder mysteries.
55. I gave up the dream of writing for a long time, but now I think I will be able to do it one day.
56. My favorite authors are Jennifer Weiner, John Saul, Scott Westerfeld, and Alex Flinn.
57. I met Alex Flinn in October. She gave me advice for getting published.
58. I reread all the Little House books every year or two.
59. I also love all the Harry Potter books.
60. But my all time favorite book is Summer Sisters by Judy Blume.
61. One of my best friends is my ex-fiancé’s sister.
62. We didn’t become close friends until the last few months of the engagement.
63. Her kids still call me their aunt.
64. We go shopping together on the day after Thanksgiving almost every year.
65. Even though I would really like to, I don’t think I will ever get married.
66. But I refuse to let that stand in the way of my having a child.
67. My family is already aware of this, but I’m not sure how my employer is going to take it.
68. I staunchly believe in a woman’s right to choose.
69. I also think that my state should have the death penalty… and use it liberally.
70. I used to have an unnatural affection for the movie Gone with the Wind… or anything to do with it.
71. My first plane ride ever was from Detroit to London when I was fifteen.
72. I never got airsick before I flew to Connecticut this summer.
73. One of my best friends lives in Connecticut.
74. While I was visiting her I went to New York City for the first time ever.
75. I can’t wait to go back.
76. I’ve never been in a car accident.
77. I did have a car that was totaled once, though.
78. My sister was driving it at the time.
79. It was her second accident in 10 days, but neither was her fault.
80. I also spun my Jeep around in the middle of an interstate highway last year. Luckily there were no cars coming and I didn’t hit any barriers. I couldn’t believe there wasn’t even a scratch on my Jeep.
81. My first celebrity crush was Rick Springfield.
82. My current celebrity crush is John Cusack.
83. I like to watch his movies and imagine myself as his romantic counterpart.
84. One of my favorites is Serendipity.
85. My favorite current TV show is Grey’s Anatomy.
86. I’m addicted to minesweeper and spider solitaire.
87. I can’t say that I will never shop at Best Buy again, but if I do I won’t be happy about it.
88. I have a scar on my lip from stitches when I was three years old.
89. My babysitter’s daughter and I were playing catch with a sharp object.
90. One of my favorite movies is Bridget Jones’ Diary.
91. I like to watch it because I adore British accents and it gives me hope that I may actually find the right person one day.
92. Part of me would really like to live in England, but I’m not sure what I would do for a living there.
93. It would also be hard to move so far from my family.
94. Ice cream is the best stuff on earth.
95. Bad grammar is my biggest pet peeve.
96. I positively detest getting up early in the morning. I need to find a job where I don’t have to be at work until 10:00 or so.
97. I owe many thousands of dollars in student loans. The tax deduction is nice and I suspect I will die before they are all paid off.
98. I have an irrational fear of drowning. I think I drowned in a past life.
99. I was 13 years old before I learned to swim.
100. I still can’t put my face underwater.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home