Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Me Speakum Good English

I know that my rants regarding MySpace and the stupid people on it are nothing new, but I think this one absolutely takes the cake.

A month or two ago, I got so annoyed with all the random (and often stupid) guys sending me messages that I finally posted the following on my page:

Look at that little box over on the side. The one that says "Here for." Mine says "Friends." It does not say "Casual Sex" or "Web Cam Shows." Nor does it say "Marriage to man from the other side of the world so he can get his green card." So, if you're thinking about contacting me to see if I want to hook up with you, I can assure you that I don't. I have a little more respect for myself than that.

And here's another thing: I'm an intelligent, highly educated person. I'm not saying that I won't be friends with someone who is not as intelligent or educated as I am, but there are a few things that will turn me off immediately. Take a look at your profile or the message you are considering sending me. Does it include poor grammar (i.e. "I seen" or "he don't")? Have you used numerous commas (,,,,,) instead of just three periods (...) for your elipses? I don't even accept that crap from kids, so why would I think it was acceptable in an adult?

Luckily, that has curbed the messages some. I still get one every now and then, but I promptly delete and ignore them.

Oh, but this one... this one had me rolling with laughter.

[charlie] send me your hotmail maiby we can speak because I,M college professor like your are

Okay, so the sender of this message is so obviously not a native English speaker, so I feel a little bad making fun of him... but he was warned.

First of all... when did I claim to be a college professor? I don't reveal my profession on MySpace at all, and I certainly don't claim to be a college professor. Grad student, yes, professor, no. Second, my hotmail? I don't have a hotmail... I think you mean e-mail, buddy. And third... even if you aren't a native English speaker, I hate to think what college would employ you as a professor of anything when your writing skills are that bad. I know that foreign college professors (and GAs) are sometimes difficult to understand when they speak, but they typically have a better grasp of written English than most native speakers.

At any rate, I don't think I'll delete this one right away... it's affording me with too much entertainment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carma said...

That just made me giggle very much. I needed a good giggle. Have a Happy Thanksgiving,,, um, yeah!!!

11/21/2006 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home