Thursday, January 25, 2007

I Was Hoping This Would Be the Year Without One

On the way home from work today, I made a stop at a funeral home.

This time it wasn't a car accident, and it wasn't a current student, but it still makes me question so many things about the universe.

N. just graduated this past spring. On Sunday, she was out at a local sledding hill with some friends and family. She and her aunt slid down the hill on a tire innertube, it made an unexpected turn, and they hit a tree. Her aunt was not injured. N. sustained a spinal cord injury which steadily shut down her body. She died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. There was really nothing they could do for her.

N. and her twin sister T. were both in my class when they were freshmen four years ago. I remember both of them as being such nice, pleasant girls, good students, and active in music and sports.

I just don't understand why such a promising young woman is taken away when she's barely had a chance to get started in life. But I really can't imagine what life is going to be like now for T. Having a twin must be such a huge part of who she is... and now that twin is gone.

As I left the funeral home this afternoon, after having said goodbye to T. and their mother, another thought occured to me. Imagine how surreal it must be for T. to see someone who looks exactly like herself lying in the casket. On one hand, she must be somewhat used to having a mirror image, but that scene is the stuff of nightmares.

There are no answers. Only questions. And tears.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home