Saturday, January 27, 2007

There Are No Words... But I'll Try

Today was the baby shower.

Let me tell ya... it was surreal.

First of all, apparently A. and C. have never met each other's relatives outside of their immediate familes. Not altogether surprising when you consider that I don't even remember the last time I saw C. (it's been at least three years). But the look on A.'s face was priceless while she tried to piece together who was related to whom. Afterall, she was introduced to two of C.'s aunts today, both sisters with his mother, but not with eachother (that would be myself and Amy's* dad's other daughter). I almost laughed when A. said, "I see the resemblance," to Amy's stepmom (she only introduced herself as C.'s Grandma).

But even when you get past the tangled family tree (divorce, remarriage, and half-siblings will do that to you), it was still strange.

One event that struck me was when one of A.'s aunts said, "Congratulations," as she hugged A. I know... what else do you say when someone is expecting a baby? I guess there's something to be said for making the best of a bad situation, but it just seems out of place. "Congratulations on making your life more difficult." "Congratulations on your upcoming application to the welfare system."

Oh, and then there's my nephew. What a gem he is turning out to be. First... looks like the typical teenage boy with the baggy jeans sliding halfway down his ass. Second... so immature. I think his girlfriend has him beat on maturity level. As my mom cracked, "I wonder if she realizes that she's got two kids to raise now?" One classic moment included C. asking if the punch was spiked, to which I reminded him that, not only was it a baby shower, but that he is not yet of age. His reply was that his dad (also a gem) had told him when he turned 18 that he was close enough. Another was when something was said about how he didn't yet have a Playstation 3, but that would be his next toy. My sister told him he'd better get a better job if he wanted one. I mentioned that perhaps his priorities would be adjusted real soon.

I know that some of my snarkiness (term stolen from Pigs) comes from my own desire/inability to have a child, but somehow I feel that, even if I didn't want one of my own, I would still be able to see the idiocy in this situation. But then, if all the stupid and immature people stopped breeding, that would take away all my job security. Can't have that.

*as always... not her real name.

Added note: After I first posted this, I realized that readers might be lacking vital information. Such as the fact that my nephew's new probation officer forced him to move out of the girlfriend's house because she is only 16. He can move back in when she turns 17 in July (if you do the math, that means she got pregnant about a month before she turned 16). In the meantime, he is living with my mom and dad as they live only a couple miles away. He goes to work in morning, then to A.'s house until about 10:00 p.m., then back to Mom and Dad's to sleep. Hey, at least he does have a job. And he's almost done with his G.E.D.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

Whew! That was better than Days of Our Lives! And excellent use of snarky, by the way. Kudos.

1/28/2007 10:13 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Also by the way....we have beagles, read the same books and blogs...are you me? Do email me sometime. I can't find your email address.

1/28/2007 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home