Tuesday, July 24, 2007

“It’s going to be about another 20 minutes. Thanks for your patience.”

In the larger scheme of things, the first day of our trip (Sunday) was pretty uneventful. All of our stress came as a result of a ridiculous delay in Minneapolis. The video system on the plane wasn’t working right, so the technicians were working on it as we boarded. Now, while it is nice to have the video system for an eight hour flight, we probably could have lived without it. I, myself, only used it to watch the plane’s progress along our route and to see what time it was both at home and at our destination (I was too busy reading Harry Potter).

At any rate, it took about 40 minutes to actually fix the video system (with this post’s title for an update every so often… it was always going to be another 20 minutes), and I have no problem waiting that long to have it done. What I did have an issue with was waiting for yet another hour and 20 minutes for the paperwork to get done! I mean, seriously… couldn’t the paperwork have been done en route?

So we got into Honolulu a little late. We managed to make up about 45 minutes in the air, but it wasn’t enough. We were supposed to land at 2:42 local time, but it didn’t happen until 4:15. Kind of a problem since Heather and I were supposed to be on a 4:20 flight to Hilo. I also didn’t want my mom to worry since I had told her I would call her about 9:00 (Eastern Time) when we got to Honolulu. I was already over an hour late in that promise, but I did call her as soon as we could turn cell phones back on to put her mind at ease.

I decided then that I wasn’t going to stress about it. I knew we would get to Hilo sooner or later and I wasn’t going to worry about it. It was pretty important for Heather to get to Hilo Sunday night since her program started at 8:00 a.m. the next day, but I was on vacation! I had no set time table, so I would be okay.

Heather had booked her entire trip together, so she didn’t have to claim her bag and re-check in with Hawaiian Airlines. This allowed her to go directly to her next gate and get on the standby list for the next flight. She ended up getting on the 5:20 flight. I had booked my inter-island flights separately, so I did have to claim my bag and check back in, but I still managed to get on the 6:20 flight.

It was about 8:00 by the time I got to the hotel and I was exhausted. So was Heather. We had both only gotten about two hours of sleep the night before (Heather had to get up at 3:15 to make her first flight) and didn’t sleep a wink on the flight from Minneapolis. It was comical how slap-happy we were from exhaustion and hunger. We ordered a pizza and went to bed about 10:00. But you should keep in mind that it was already 4:00 a.m. back home… which was about the time I had gotten home from the class reunion the previous night. And Heather had been up for almost 25 hours at that point.

And we slept so well, we barely even heard the tiny little tree frogs with the big voices that sound like a relaxation CD.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home