Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Best Laid Plans... Take Two

We were doing a special event at school this morning that made me get out the door at 6:30. My plan was to get there around 7:00, get a couple things done, then catch a ride with someone else to the elementary school. I woke up craving McDonald's breakfast, so I cruised though the drive-thru.

While in the drive-thru, I had the radio off and I started hearing a funny noise. I dismissed it as coming from someone else's car. I gathered my food and turned onto the street, but was still hearing the noise. I turned the radio off once again and thought, "What the heck is that noise?"

And just then the battery light came on, freaking me way the hell out. I really don't handle situations like this well.

I pulled into the gas station and turned everything off, but left the motor running, knowing that, if the problem was electrical, I might not get it started again. And that was when I saw the steam coming from under the hood.

So I turned the car off, called a tow truck, called Principal to tell him I would be late, and waited. I did eventually get the Jeep delivered to the dealership and caught a ride to work with the shuttle van. I hadn't even gotten to work before the shuttle driver got a phone call that turned out to be for me. They had already found the problem (the water pump) and had an estimate for me. No one likes spending money on car repairs, but it wasn't bad as those things go.

I made it to work, having only missed the first hour and went about the rest of my day. But it's funny how one event can turn your entire day. I felt like I was in a haze. I had missed the morning's fun and now had to shell out over $400 for car repairs. Not how I planned on today going.

But it could have been worse. I could have been stranded in a bad part of town, or the repairs could have been much more. I guess I'll just hope that tomorrow is uneventful.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home