Monday, July 31, 2006

Alright, I'm Getting To It...

*I give up... I've been trying for days to add photos to this post, but I can't seem to do it no matter how I try. So here's the story at least. Maybe I'll be able to add pics eventually.*

So I've been back from my trip for nearly a week (actually, over a week, but I stayed at my Mom and Dad's for an extra couple of days) and I haven't posted the pics yet. I took about 100 photos, so don't think that I will be putting them all up, but I will post some of the cooler ones. Now I will warn you that some photos contain a person who looks remarkably similar to a person who once had a blog, but had to delete it due to ridiculous pressure from her job. I swear that it isn't me.

First, let me tell you about the flights. The first flight was the quick jump from Grand Rapids to Detroit. This flight is a quick one where you are only actually in the air for something like 26 minutes. It seemed much longer. There was so much turbulence that the flight attendants weren't even allowed to get up.

We finally arrived at Detroit Metro. Anyone who has flown Northwest into Detroit knows that this is one of their hubs, so they have an entire 78 gate terminal to themselves. My first flight arrived at gate 12. The next one left from gate 75. Luckily, I had plenty of time, so I set out on my leisurely stroll. Only to find out that my flight was delayed a few minutes. Turns out that the plane I was supposed to travel to Hartford on was delayed in arriving. So I gave Heather a call to let her know I'd be a bit later than expected and ended up talking to her for nearly the entire time I before the next flight boarded. Of course, I had to tell her about the person I saw who looked exactly like our assistant principal at work... if he was trying to recapture his youth. He had on a preppy polo shirt, backwards baseball cap, and a backpack slung over one shoulder. I actually expected this guy to start talking to me because he looked so much like the AP, but luckily he did not because I don't really like the AP all that much (something to do with how he dug through months of entries on my previous blog in an attempt to find *gasp* my opinion).

Alright, so I'm finally on board my flight to Hartford. And this one is even worse. They attempted to serve beverages, but gave it up about 1/3 of the way through the plane. Probably for the best since the passengers were helping to hold down the carts to keep them from flying. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.

Finally! Solid ground in Connecticut. It was about a 45 minute drive from Hartford to New Haven and Heather and I talked the entire time. After lunch, we turned a corner and I was faced with this gigantic cliff:
*East Rock Photo*
(It looked even bigger in person)

"Whoa!" I very cleverly exclaimed, so Heather thought we should go to the top of East Rock. Here is someone who looks a lot like me standing at the top of East Rock, with the city of New Haven in the background.
*Me on East Rock*
Remember that itty-bitty tower from the first picture? Here it is up close. It's a war memorial.
*Tower pic*
After going back to leave my stuff at Heather's apartment, we decided to drive through a bit of downtown New Haven and see Yale. This is my favorite shot...
*arch*
Potentially because my first attempt rendered a photo of a big blue bus. But it's a cool looking bus, at least.
*bus pic*
And then we went back to Heather's place to clean up a bit in preparation to go out for the evening. We planned to have some pizza at Bar (yes, that's the name of the place)...
*at Bar*
And meet some of Heather's new friends for drinks.
*group pic*
After spending some time at Bar, we started to feel a bit old for the young crowd, so we moved on to Temple Grill, which was a bit more our speed. We had a good time and ended up meeting the owner of the restaurant (turns out he's friends with one of Heather's new friends). This came in quite handy the next night.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home