Monday, November 05, 2007

Read? I Don't Have Time to Read! I'm a Librarian!

Ironic, isn't it? I'm sure there are people in the world that think it's easy to be a school librarian, and, to be perfectly honest, it's not a terribly difficult position. It's easier for some than others... it all depends on how you do the job. But my point here is that, anyone who thinks that all a librarian does is sit around and read is sorely mistaken. I've actually had less time to read since school started because my day is filled with administrative duties, which means that the lesson planning and paper grading for my two core classes all has to come home with me each night. Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't. But the point is that, I'm not finding myself with a lot of time for just plain reading!

I'm currently working on the book Extras by Scott Westerfeld. It's the fourth book in a trilogy. Yes, I realize what that says. See, Mr. Westerfeld apparently found that his trilogy was so lucrative that he needed to add a fourth book to it. I thorougly enjoyed books one (Uglies) and two (Pretties) in the trilogy and the third one (Specials) was okay. It was okay with me that the trilogy was complete, but when I found that there was another book I thought that would be fine as well. The jury's still out on this one, but so far I'm thinking that he should have left well enough alone.

I've had Twilight by Stephenie Meyer sitting on the coffee table for several weeks now. I wanted to read this series this summer when its latest installment arrived in stores, but I waited until I had access to the school library again, thinking that we had a copy. As it turned out, we don't own it so I thought I might buy it for us, but I started hearing mumblings that, perhaps, it wasn't appropriate for our middle school library. I finally broke down and bought a copy to read for myself, and if it does turn out to be a good choice, then I will donate it to the library. But in the meantime, I need to find some time to read it!!

And today I brought home another selection. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray arrived last week with a shipment of books ordered by my predecessor. When our student aide was starting to process them, she commented that her mother wouldn't let her read it. This surprised me as our aide is a mature, avid reader. If her mother didn't want her reading it, perhaps there is a reason. I checked out some reviews online and found some that said ages 12 and up, another that said grade nine, and still another that said grades 11-12. The book looks really good to me, but it's now on my list so that I can determine if it is indeed appropriate for my library.

Anyone have any input for me on these two titles?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Carma said...

I totally know what you mean about not having time to read. I have absolutley no time at all. I bring home all lesson plans to work on because, even they though they say I have a conference hour, I beg to differ. I never get a moment during the day, no matter which building I'm in, to work on lessons.

Twilight is sitting on my night stand too. The other book you mentioned, I have not read either. Sorry I'm no help. I just wanted to let you know that I know your pain. I just purchased Extras for my hs library, thanks to kids who told me it was out. They are excited about it, so I'll give it a shot. I also loved the first three. Let me know what you think.

11/06/2007 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home