Sunday, July 01, 2007

The List--Installment #1

I am a big fan of lists. I have a list of things that have to be done at work (when I'm working, that is). I have a list of regular chores that need to be done at home. And then I have the summer list. This year's list is particularly lengthy since it is my first summer in three years that I actually have time to get some things done around the house. What's really sad though, is that when I pulled the legal pad out of the cupboard to make this year's list, I found last year's list still present... without a single item crossed off. So the items that didn't get accomplished last year were simply added to this year's list

At any rate, I'm pretty proud of having crossed two tasks off my list already this summer! And to celebrate the accomplishment of my tasks, I've decided to chronicle them with photos (before and after, as applicable) as I finish them.

Project #1--Flower Beds

The corners of my backyard are notoriously difficult to mow, so I decided to put in some new flowerbeds. Here is flower bed #1 before:
And here it is after. It doesn't look like much now, but I've planted some perenial seeds, so hopefully it will be pretty next year.

And here is flower bed #2 before:

And after:


Project #2--New Paint in the Living Room

I love the fresh look that new paint brings to a room, so I've been wanting to do the living room almost since I moved in. But the living room is a large room with lots of trim that requires painting right next to the carpet. As much as I wanted the new look, I was really not looking forward to actually doing the work. But, one week after commencing the project, I am thrilled to say that I am done!

Living room before (very before as this photo was actually taken over a year ago when I got the new carpet):And after:

So that's two projects done. I still have many more to go, but most are not as major as painting the living room (thank goodness!). I'm hoping several of them will get done this week as I am having a gathering at my house on Saturday and it would be nice to have my house looking nice when people are over. Here's hoping for the best!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lawn Mower Queen said...

I love painting! I know what color I want to paint every room in this house, but LMK is already talking about when we buy our own house. So I'm trying to decide if I want to paint the house and then have to pay someone to repaint it when we leave or if I can live with builder beige for a few years.

I cheapskate in me says live with builder beige.

7/02/2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Yes, I had to live with builder beige for 6 years of living in rental housing. In fact, one of the propelling reasons for me to buy a house was so I could paint and put my personal mark on it!

7/02/2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger film-chick said...

I'm hoping to paint in September when I'm done with this job. What brand did you use? I've had bad luck with some brands and am asking everybody. Thanks!

7/02/2007 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all looks so good :)! Nice job. I've been busily painting the entire lower level of our home, and I can't believe what a big job it is! Its going to be like 1200 sq feet for just the one room, and I am going insane on the trim alone. I know I'll be happy when its finished though. At any rate, I love the color and everything looks great, flowerbeds included. Nice work :)! I enjoyed seeing you a week back, and look forward to it again!
Shutterbug

7/03/2007 11:46 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Film-Chick: I just used the store brand from Walmart. I've used all range of prices and manufacturers of paint and have found that they all work about the same for me and they all need 2 coats, so why pay more money for them?

Shutterbug: Thanks! I can't imagine doing all the trim for a 1200 sq.ft. room. It took me about 3 days just to do the trim in the living room! It was great to see you last week, too. Hopefully we'll be able to do it again sometime before the summer is over!

7/05/2007 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home